Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Exploit Your Singleness


Yes, I'm single this Valentine's day. Well, romantically single, but I belong to an amazing natural family and an equally astounding spiritual family. Despite some emotional difficulty regarding singleness lately, I can truly say I'm thankful that I'm single right now. Do I want a boyfriend and eventually a husband? Absolutely. But right now, I know I'm right where God wants me to be.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no variation nor shadow due to change. 
James 1:17

In studying James with Beth Moore, I came across this gem. The word "perfect" describes that "which has achieved or reached its goal, objective, purpose." Basically, God's good gift to me is singleness right now. 

What goal might he have in it? He's given me time that I can choose how to use, extra time that I will not have when I'm married and a mom. I want to make really good use of this time (or exploit it, seeing my post  title) I want to learn as much theology and just practical living as I can and fall more in love with Jesus so I can appropriately love and serve the ones God has and will put in my life. I also want to travel. Hello! Yes. (Here's a really good related post about being a useful single.) 

So yeah, singleness. It's a good thing. Marriage is good too, but wherever God has you at the moment is your best. So don't mess around. Don't mope and muddle if you're single. Go do something. Go be someone. Max out its potential. Exploit your singleness.

R<3

5 comments:

  1. definitely...pastor spoke this week on being single and appreciating it...i am married of course but there was still much to take from it...there are def things that are much easier for singles to accomplish...live it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Dude! And that verse is awesome cause it has word play! 'The father of lights...no shadow" Cause he's the Father of the lights, he makes the shadows, but no shadow is cast on Him! I LOVE THAT VERSE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post i love it!! AND HAPPY V-DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautiful! I love writing on singleness, check my blog out called hisladiesinwaiting.wordpress.com God bless you, im glad there is others out there like me!

    ReplyDelete