Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grace

I did something different with my empty styrofoam cup of coffee this morning. Instead of ripping it into little chips and dropping it inside its increasingly smaller self, I wrote on it.

Life as a Christian cannot be lived, in any real and full way, outside of the body of Christ, which is the church.
People are messy. Any amount of truth and life I have is grace. I can't take credit for it or pride in it.

This has been something I've been struggling with - why does God tell us to be involved in and love the church when there's so many messed up people in it? Just the way that question is phrased should give you a clue what my problem is.

PRIDE. PRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDE.
Hello??? Do I not remember the grace it took me and how far I've come? Did I forget where I've been and where I still have to go? I am a sinner. I don't deserve any of what I have and God's glorious grace should break my heart.

I'm so blessed to be a part of my church and have a chance to rejoice in God with the other redeemed sinners!

Speaking of fellowship, I went to hang out my college group after church. It was the best time I've had in forever. Mickey, Courtney, Lauren, Zack, Squish, Steven, Mitch, Nate and I talked about books (C.S. Lewis), movies (military and "christian" romance), women in the military, Target, break-dancing, the ethics of creeping someone out while eating a chocolate cupcake as opposed to a vanilla one and music.

Oh, my book list.

My Utmost for his Highest - Oswald Chambers
God's grace from Ground Zero - Jim Cymbala
A Woman's Journey to the Heart of God - Cynthia Heald
The Bondage Breaker - Neil T. Anderson.
Victory over the Darkness - Neil T. Anderson.
The Prodigal God - Tim Keller
Total Truth - Nancy Pearcey
Something by Nathan D. Wilson
Ruth: A Sweet and Bitter Providence - John Piper (especially excited about that one!)

That's the short list.

Okay, friends. This feels like a weird post to me, but whatever. Love you guys. I have to go figure out my double-booking for jobs tomorrow. My fault. Oh FAIL. =P

R<3

Listening to Jesse McCartney - What's Your Name

1 comment:

  1. Ruthiey, thanks for this post! that's something i've been struggling with too.. you just put it into words.

    ReplyDelete