Friday, September 24, 2010

The Universe Of Me

In the morning, I like to text a verse to my friends to encourage them. This morning, I copied something from Spurgeon's Chequebook Of The Bank Of Faith. November 12th.

It is no wonder that the Lord's people should be satisfied with the goodness of the Lord. Here is goodness without mixture, bounty without stint, mercy without chiding, love without change, favour without reserve. If God's goodness does not satisfy us, what will? What! Are we still groaning? Surely there is a wrong desire within if it be one which God's goodness does not satisfy. Lord, I am satisfied. Blessed be thy name.


Sometimes I like to wallow in what I think is trouble, drama, problems. Not that I enjoy the situation, I just enjoy feeling it thoroughly. Call me weird. It's like picking a scab. However, it rapidly becomes self-centered. I struggle then to thank God for even the smallest thing, because the issue I'm having shrunk my world down to the tiny whirling universe of me. It's wild in there, but no fun.

I love how good God is.

His goodness is without mixture. It's purely for me; he has no alterior motive.

His bounty is without stint. Praise him for his continued grace, peace and forgiveness! I can never reach an end of what he's willing to give.

His mercy is without chiding. In his majesty, he is willing to grant us pardon and forget the matter. We are pure and that is how it is. He doesn't drag us down with past reminders of sin.

His love is without change. I went through a time in my walk with God where I underlined every reference to steadfast love and drew a heart in the margin of my bible. I so desperately wanted to know, to the depth of my soul, that I was loved and would be loved forever.

His favour is without reserve. Knowing how I can favor people so flightily, I am so thankful that God remains the same. Gracious, loving, seeking after us, sanctifying us, remaining our Almighty Father and everlasting Rock. "The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he." Deut 32:4

My friend Gretchen said once, "I struggle everyday to get out of the kingdom of Gretchen and into the Kingdom of God." Yes, Lord! Make it so.

R<3

Listening to OneRepublic - Secrets

2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad i read that today. thank you for posting it! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ty for that.
    lovely background! ethereal pink hummingbirds... :)

    ReplyDelete